100 Years of Care
In 1902, Dr James Wright Patton commenced solo practice in Sharp Street, Cooma at the Australian Hotel. He was succeeded by Dr A H Macintosh from the Royal Price Alfred Hospital, Sydney in 1906 and Dr Leslie Cowlishaw in 1907.
In 1911 Dr Cowlishaw built on the corner of Dawson and Massie Streets. This building acted as a doctor's surgery and residence for 35 years. Dr Cowlishaw left Cooma in 1915 as a volunteer in the 12th Light Horse Regiment serving in Gallipoli and France.
When Dr Frank Utber took over Dr Cowlishaw's practice in 1915, his practice area stretched from Michelago to Mt Kosciuszko and Kiandra to Bemboka. On one occasion he was lost in a blizzard for 4 days near Adaminaby when he drove over a fence line into a paddock.
In 1936, Drs Lindon and Naomi Wing bought the practice from Dr Utber.
They practiced from No. 1 Massie Street for 10 years and by the end of World War II they were the only medical practitioners in Cooma. In 1946 the Wings purchased 184 Sharp Street when Dr Kenneth Wallace decided not to continue practicing in Cooma after the war.
The land was granted to Sampson Hain, store keeper and publican, in 1854. The house was built in 1865 by his brother, Joseph Hain. When Sampson died only 3 years later, the property was sold to Ezra Margoschis, store keeper and flour miller before being purchased by Charles Potter, a builder. He was commissioned by Benjamin Lipscombe, a solicitor to extend the house in 1869. Lipscombe (founder of law firm, Blaxland, Mawson & Rose) lived and practised there until his wife died in 1873.
The Kiandra gold rush caused Cooma to develop and the Bank of NSW purchased the property. From 1874 it served as banking chambers for forty years, with a new facade, tiled palm court and fountain being added in 1909. The Bank moved to its present site in 1914, later changing its name to Westpac.
In the 1920's the building became a private residence and later a boarding house with weatherboard enclosure of the rear verandah.
In 1935 Dr Kingsley Hudson purchased 184 Sharp Street and moved his practice from Commissioner Street where he had been renting for the previous 2 years. 184 Sharp Street became both his residence and his practice. It has served as a medical practice every since.